Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I don't mind re-reading the same book to my 5-year-old because...

literacy can make or break a child's education. It encourages curiosity, introduces new and tougher words for young minds to learn, improves vocabulary, and provides seemingly hundreds of additional benefits.

As a child grows into a young adult, communication skills borne of literacy offer a scholastic and workplace advantage. One of my most engaging professors at the U of Alabama was a veteran of corporate America, having worked at Time Warner and Pfizer. And she was a firm believer in the power of the the written and spoken word. She once imparted the following to me verbatim: "The most underrated skill in business is the ability to communicate clearly."

Amen. And I provide this link as further evidence of the power of literacy--especially for children. Now go read something before you nod off tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment